Ties across staves in a PianoStaff

From: u_li
Subject: Ties across staves in a PianoStaff
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 03:31:51 -0700 (PDT)

If I place tied notes in different staves of a PianoStaff, the tie is placed
at a quite strange position - and horizontally.
for example (within a PianoStaff context, both staves with the same clef):

\change Staff = "lower"
d2~
\change Staff = "upper"
d2

I also come across this problem with chords, so I can't just use a slur
instead (which would of course also produce different midi output).

Is there any workaround for this?

Many thanks
Urs