Re: Emacs lily mode

From: Bernardo Barros
Subject: Re: Emacs lily mode
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:51:01 -0300

Also differentiating lilypond code and scheme code.
The mmm mode could be useful to combine this two major modes:
http://mmm-mode.sourceforge.net/
Just an idea.

2010/7/15 David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Tim McNamara <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
>> Having a useful lilypond mode in Emacs would be really great.
>
> Using the existing lilypond-mode for all my .ly file editing already
> and it's pretty useful to me- but of course there is always room for
> improvement.  What are you thinking that you'd like to see?
>
> I'd like to see parsing for missing/misplaced brackets, maybe some
> kind of validation function like Tidy is for HTML, since that is
> something that trips me up sometimes and can be hard to debug.

Indentation goes downhill completely sometimes (in particular when using
things like -> accents) and is hopeless regarding Scheme.  Syntax
highlighting can be rather weird.  There is no automatic conversion
between absolute and relative modes, or editor-level transpositions or
augmentation.  Syntax can't distinguish between chord mode, lyrics,
markups and so on.  You can't start a new Lilypond compilation before
killing your viewer.  You can't, say, quickly play the notes of a
passage without running them through Lilypond (since Emacs does not
understand the notes it sees).  Bar detection barfs on encountering the
first bar.  You can't let bars be entered automagically.

--
David Kastrup