Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:18:13 +0100

>> One thing that comes to mind is that I don't want to arrive at a
>> point where musician will be teaching computers to play instead of
>> learning to play themselves.
> I hate to break the news, but we're already at that point -- as
> evidenced by this thread.  =)

You are confusing teaching, training, and programming.

Computers are programmed, and some programs may require training to
deliver proper results.  Teaching, however, _conveys_ meaning.  You
don't teach an encyclopedia or an expert system, even though you may use
them as a tool for teaching.

David Kastrup