Re: Notation convention: dotted notes, duplet or else?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Notation convention: dotted notes, duplet or else?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:33:07 +0100

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:22:16AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> On May 31, 2011, at 11:17 AM, Xavier Scheuer wrote:
>
> >  \time 3/4
> >  % proposal 1: dotted notes
> >  c4. c4. |
>
> I would never do this unless there was a longer section of hemiolas.

I'd be sorely tempted to change to
  \time 6/8
if all voices had such rhythms.

In short, there's no "right" answer for any of these.  All those
notations convey slightly different information to a musician --
not because of anything literally in the notation itself, but
rather because seeing a particular way of writing the rhythm will
make the musician think (consciously or not) about all the other
music he's seen those rhythms in.

Cheers,
- Graham