Re: Score.midiInstrument = "harp"

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Score.midiInstrument = "harp"
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 01:37:50 +0200

2011/8/27 Craig <address@hidden>

> Hi Graham,
>
> I will use "orchestral harp", but I must say that I am looking at my
> Notation Reference for Lilypond 2.11.61 (one I had hard copy printed for
> easy reference) and it does not have "orchestral harp" listed on B.4.

Orchestral Harp appeared Feb 2009 in LilyPond 2.13.0.

MIDI program change #47 was previously (wrongly) "orchestral strings".

> And now- I am being evil - nasty -- what is the difference between a
> "orchestral harp" and a harp, the pedals? In that case it would be
> called a "pedal harp"?  Are we distinguishing between folk harp?  The
> MIDI specification needs to be redesigned.  Perhaps the Lilypond Lobby
> could handle that!

MIDI GM names are sound names, not instrument names. From that point
of view, "Orchestral Harp" is a sound that could be different of
another sound known simply as "Harp".  The sound of a harp in an
orchestra could typically be considered louder or brighter, or both.
You know, MIDI sounds do not cover all sounds of an instrument, but
rather a single sound of an instrument played in a certain way.

BTW most used harps nowadays are the modern harp (chromatic -- 7
pedals) and the Celtic harp (diatonic -- no pedals, per-string
levers).

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com