Re: lilypond-book download

From: Pablo Zumarán
Subject: Re: lilypond-book download
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:27:47 -0700 (PDT)

I'm having trouble understanding something. In Item 4 of "GNU Lilypond –
Application Usage", under the heading "Integrating Text and Music", it
explicitly says this "lilypond-book provides a way to automate this process:
This program extracts snippets of music from your document, runs lilypond on
them, and outputs the document with pictures substituted for the music."
According to this, LilypondBook is a "program". I'm new to command-line
usage, so that might be why this confuses me. Is it not a stadalone program?

I wish the Lilypond site had complete examples to study from, rather than
just specific examples meant to be understood only by experienced
command-line users who would know where to apply them. I have TeXMaker,
TeXWorks, TeXLive, eMacs, GNUTeXmacs, have tried to get a pdf file with text
and music from all of them without success. I've no idea, for instance, how
to make TeXMaker understand a Lilypond command; or what program to use
TexXInfo on, or even whether TeXInfo is itself a program.

Could you tell me whether there are complete examples somewhere which I
could study from?

Thanks again!