Can a dynamics mark ignore a slur?

From: Andrew Hawryluk
Subject: Can a dynamics mark ignore a slur?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 21:42:30 -0700

Based on the properties in the Internals Reference, it appears that
dynamics can be set to ignore slurs. I've seen it done successfully
with articulation marks, but my attempt with dynamics is failing. In
my test case, I want both p's to be close to the staff, but the second
one is displaced by the slur:

\version "2.15.21"

#(ly:set-option 'debug-skylines #t)

\relative c'' {
  \override DynamicLineSpanner #'avoid-slur = #'ignore
  \override DynamicTextSpanner #'avoid-slur = #'ignore
  \override DynamicText #'avoid-slur = #'ignore
  a\p f g e f d a g
  a'(\p f g e f d a g)
}

Motivation: LilyPond draws very nice slurs, but it places them in
rectangular boxes that push other elements far away. I don't want to
resort to an extra y-offset because the offset distance will be
different in the full score than in the parts (the slur goes over a
line break in the full score).

Any tips? Am I missing something?

Andrew