From: Tim Roberts
Subject: Testimonial
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 11:46:47 -0700

It's interesting how much a few little clues can help simplify things.  I'm arranging a number of pieces for clarinet quartet.  I had been using relative brute force, using separate blocks for the parts, using external scripts to generate separate PDF files, etc.  The code was ugly and, as a professional programmer, I hated it.

After watching this list for a while, I learned enough hints about \parallelMusic and tags and \bookpart to redo things, and suddenly my Lilypond files are self-contained, workable, and readable.  I can actually find the notes I need to change, instead of wading through a big, complicated block.  I did the entire first movement of Brandenburg 3 for clarinet quartet in about two days, and I could not be happier with the results -- both the output and the Lilypond source are pretty.

I still lose track of the relative octaves while I'm doing data entry, but that problem is unlikely to be solved through technology...

My compliments to the long-timers on this list for your patience.  It is only through your repeated explanations that newcomers can pick up the hints and idioms that make this very large package manageable.
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.