Re: musescore lands sponsoring?

From: Lucas Gonze
Subject: Re: musescore lands sponsoring?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:12:50 -0700

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> I know I'm rehashing old ground, but I think that these projects stand to
> mutually benefit from each other if and only if they evolve in "natural"
> directions given their goals.  ...  In general, the idea of LilyPond is to
> build a master engraver - a virtual person who, using various directives,
> creates a score following hundreds of years of engraving knowledge.

There's a lot of wisdom in your comment, Mike. I agree that the best
thing would be for Musecore and Lilypond to define themselves in
complementary ways.

David, given the idea that the soul of Lilypond is engraving, I don't
know if having musescore import Lilypond syntax is absolutely
necessary or even absolutely possible. For them to do that would
require using Lilypond as a library and constantly updating the import
routines. The insane and incredible richness of Lilypond makes a 1-1
translation nearly impossible, so Musescore would have to support only
a subset of Lilypond features.

Not that I mean to convince you to invest spare time you don't have
into musescore integration - apologies if I give that impression.