Re: Score examples

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Score examples
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 15:54:46 +0200

Pierre Perol-Schneider <address@hidden> writes:

> These are globals.
> They include :
> - re-defind header
> - line thickness (thinner)
> - ledger line thickness (thinner)
> - slurs and ties thickness (thinner)
> - bar lines thickness (thinner)
> - stem length (longer)
> - beam thickness (thicker)
> - grace notes (smaller global sizes)
> - G clef glyph
> - Tab clef glyph
> - some left hand fingerings (for ex. fing. "0" which, according to me,
> doesn't mean anything).
> hope I did not forget something...
>
> Btw, about 2-3 years ago I had a discussion with a Finale user who was
> telling me that LilyPond was bad looking.
> So I've created a home-made-Finale-settings (including the Finale G clef
> glyph) so that my Lily score looked like a Finale one.
> In your article, maybe you'll have to remind this amazing customized
> faculty LilyPond has.

Uh, it hasn't.  You are confusing the empowering combination of free
software and a reasonable amount of documentation and code factorization
with "customized faculty".

It's like calling a car "customizable" because its interiors are
well-arranged, accessible through screws and other reversible
mechanisms, there are wiring diagrams on major components of the car's
electrics and so on and so on.

That's an engineer's song of love and respect for those who are willing
to hear it.  But it is a song about engineering, not about driving.  To
make it the latter, there have to be user-level controls.  And "user" is
not the same as "entry-level engineer".  Though we _are_ trying to make
the distinction more fuzzy.

--
David Kastrup