Re: Worse error message in 2.17

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Worse error message in 2.17
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:11:52 +0200

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> if I forget to set the language correctly as in this example:
>
> \version "2.16.0"
> %\language "deutsch"
> { b a c' h }
>
> the error message in 2.16.0 was:
>
> error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
> { b a c'
>          h }
>
> That told me: The "h" is wrong and I remembered to set the language.
>
> In 2.17.19, lilypond tells me:
>
> error: have to be in Lyric mode for lyrics
> { b a c'
>          h }
>
> I would consider this misleading, because a single string that does not
> fit in the music input syntax is not yet a clear sign that the user
> wants to write lyrics. I was searching for errors in the lyrics for a
> while and then I realized the line break before the "h" in the error
> message.
>
> Could I file a bug/wish for that or do you consider it as normal?

<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3300>

GNU LilyPond 2.17.26
Processing `xxx.ly'
Parsing...
xxx.ly:1:10: error: unrecognized string, not in text script or \lyricmode
{ b a c'
         h }

It's better to get your wishes in before a fix is actually committed.
Participating in the review allows you to add your own ideas timely.

> My suggestion for the error message:
> a) if the string fits with any language setting, ask the user if he
> wants another input language.

Far too complex, too much second-guessing the user.

> if a) is difficult:
> b) don't talk about lyrics here, at least not in the first place. More like:
> "h" is not understandable in a music expression. Is that a typo, did you
> forget to set the language correcly or did you want to write lyrics
> here? (in better English)

We don't have error messages that verbose (that's the kind of stuff you
get in TeX _after_ pressing h for "help").  Well, you see the current
goalpost (as of 2.17.26).  Try improving on that.

--
David Kastrup