Re: Problem with hemiola notation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Problem with hemiola notation
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 17:25:33 +0200

Alan McConnell <address@hidden> writes:

> Assembled Wisdom!
>
> I am transcribing some Bach choruses for
> string quartet, and I wish to use the
> orthography of the Bach Gesellschaft, as
> given in the Dover scores that I have.
>
> To explain my problem, I ask you to first
> look at the following extract from one of
> my parts:
> (start)--------------------------
> \version "2.16.0"
>
> global =  {
>   \key d \minor
>   \time 3/4
> }
>
> %  Here is a "hemiola"
>
> |ees4 d c | c4. d8 bes4. | a8 a4. g8 | g2 r4 |
>                        ^
>                 ------------------------(finish)
>
> The '^' marks the dot on the dotted Bb that I wish
> to move into the next bar.  The part compiles just
> fine;

No, it doesn't.

> Of course I could tie over the bes4 into a bes8 in
> the next measure, but I thought it would be nice to
> transcribe just as the Bach Gesellschaft has it.

You'll be surprised at how few of the readers here have the Dover scores
available, so it might be useful to actually include a scan of what you
are asking for: it should not require more than about three notes, so
neither mailing list bandwidth nor copyright should be problematic here.

--
David Kastrup