Re: forcing MultiMeasureRests to combine

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: forcing MultiMeasureRests to combine
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:28:35 -0400

Hi David,

> You did not address the scripts attached to multimeasure rests.

Not sure what you mean here — other than the "A" and the "B" (both of which I
addressed in my modified snippet), what scripts were there in your original
snippet?

> When combining multiple multimeasure rests, you may end up with fewer rests
> than you started with (which is sort of the point), and with different ranges.

Yes. And…?

> That means that you don't have similar positions to apply the scripts
> to, and you might have more scripts than multimeasure rests anyway.

I believe both my example and my rule handle these situations without trouble.

> What if a multimeasure rest is completely overlayed by material
> in the same voice?  Not print it at all?

Here again is my single rule:

    Compress all contiguous blocks of MMRs uninterrupted by other notate-able
items (e.g., "material", "scripts", regular rests, etc.).

This rule, as I interpret it, is capable of handling everything brought up in
your response.
Put another way, please provide a snippet where that single rule cannot be
logically applied to give the output I'm suggesting.

Perhaps equivalently (for 99% of my purposes) would be this rule:

    Simultaneous skip events should be ignored when compressing MMRs.

Is that easier to understand and/or implement?

Thanks,
Kieren.