Re: forcing MultiMeasureRests to combine

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: forcing MultiMeasureRests to combine
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:43:12 -0400

Hi David,

> Why do you use s rather than \skip if you don't want to have LilyPond notice
> events?

It's comments (questions) like that which make me feel like there are deep,
deep secrets about Lilypond that even I (after more than a decade of heavy
Lily-use) have no inkling.  =)

What's the difference?
I have ALWAYS used s and \skip "equivalently".

Put another way, should this snippet behave differently than my first one?

\version "2.17.13"

global = {
  \repeat "unfold" 8 { \skip 1 }
}

notes = \relative c' {
  R1*4
  c1
  R1*3
}

\score {
  \new Staff << \compressFullBarRests \global \notes >>
}

Thanks!
Kieren.