Re: [Best Practices] splitting and combining choral parts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: [Best Practices] splitting and combining choral parts
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 10:34:21 -0500

Hi Simon,

> It always uses a consistent number of staves for the music (which might also
> be due to the music)

This (i.e., the last bit) is the salient point. Look at essentially any opera
or musical score (full or pianovocal), and a large proportion of [modern]
choral scores, and you will see a great deal of frenching and part-combining
and choral-unison-with-occasional-polyphony.***

And whether or not the particular example ("Wither’s Carol” mm. 1-17) that I
included should or should not be in four staves is irrelevant.

I think it’s the perfect example to work out the best practices by which larger
scores can/should be coded. I’m not really interested in tackling the final
engraving of my 25-minute holiday suite for double orchestra, double choir,
barbershop quartet, and children’s choir as the “test example”.  ;)

Cheers,
Kieren.

***  p.s. I couldn’t even find one example, in all my scores of pieces composed
before 1900, containing a choral unison section of more than four consecutive
measures. Anyone [counter]examples out there?

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: address@hidden