Re: with and set

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: with and set
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 00:18:20 +0100

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Simon
>
> Am 06.02.2017 um 00:02 schrieb Simon Albrecht:
>> if you use \set, the Staff is created without a setting for
>> instrumentName, and instrumentName is set at the timestep where the \set
>> command is issued.
>
> Are you sure? I might be misreading David's mail, but as far as I
> understood, the staff is created as soon as it is needed (at time 0
> usually or at negative times with grace notes) and if I don't have the
> property set there it's too late.

Too late to make it into an InstrumentName grob created by the
Instrument_name_engraver .

> In case it works using \set, the Staff is not created without a
> setting. If the creation and the \set happen at the same time, it's
> equivalent. If not, it's too late. So it is either quivalent or the
> \set does not happen.

Of course, the \set happens.  But the job of the
Instrument_name_engraver is already over by then.  You can still query
the instrumentName property, say with \applyContext , and wonder why you
don't see it leading the staff.

--
David Kastrup