Re: Multiple markings

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Multiple markings
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 22:51:47 +0000

On 06/02/17 11:07, David Sumbler wrote:
> I am unclear about what you mean by an "ordinary mark".  The
> implication of what you say seems to be that a RehearsalMark and an
> "ordinary mark" can be anchored to the same barline - which sounds just
> like what I am trying to do.

I mean that the code for RehearsalMark was just a wrapper round an
ordinary mark. So if you tried to put both on the same barline, the
underlying engine just saw two ordinary marks, and threw one away. That
was very frustrating back then.

> That is an idea I hadn't thought of, and sounds like an excellent
> suggestion.  But after experimenting with it, I have not managed to
> keep a fermata centred over the barline whilst having a longer text
> mark left-aligned on or near the barline.  So far, then, I can't see a
> clear solution to what I wanted to do.

What happens if you attach a markup to an empty chord? something like this?

| \mark \default <>^\markup { Put this after the rehearsal mark }

I do this a fair bit, and no it is not a perfect solution, but it's
quite often good enough. (Apologies if the syntax isn't quite right.)

Cheers,
Wol