Re: Double time signature when there are grace notes

From: ArnoldTheresius
Subject: Re: Double time signature when there are grace notes
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 01:42:01 -0700 (MST)

Thomas Weber wrote
> Am 11.02.2017 um 13:51 schrieb Thomas Morley:
>>
>> Arnold has put up some work to get a more automagic workflow.

> This actually solves my problem - thanks for pointing me there!  I'm
> relieved there is an existing fix.

Hello Thomas,

please check the thread http://www.lilypondforum.de/index.php?topic=2458.0
"Grace Sync - Skips automatisch einfügen" (Grace Sync - add grace skips
automatically) on the German Lilypond Forum, too.
Well, you need to login there to download the example files for version
2.18.2 (in the 3rd post), or the include file egs.ly modified for 2.19.22
and above (in the 4th post).

You will have to start all staves explicitely (add \new Staff to your
example) to make it work.

I started to study, how could \set, \override and \applyContext be
automatically moved to the first score wide grace sync timing if the user
marks these events to be 'moved', and which of these events to move and
which ones to keep at their position and context.
I implemented it by a function which parses the input and returns a modified
ly:music structure - a method \articulate does, too.
More details:
- in all \new Staff a new Voice for grace syncing will be added.
- the marked events below this Staff in the ly:music structure will be moved
from a Sequential Music into this additional grace syncing voice, embeded
between skips and grace skips.

I did not do very much testing until now, but I'm looking forward to solve
in my typical score layouts at least 90 % of the grace sync situations
automatically, 7 % by manually setting the grace synchronisation attribute
to #'keep or #'move,. So I hope for less than 3 % I will have to create
tagged alternatives to solve the grace syncing in different score views.
Well, \repeat volta can cause problems, especially if you rename the voltas,
add voltas onto additional staves 'in the middle of the score', or even
rename these voltas independet for each staff.

Moreover, I hope this workaround can also be a tool to study some aspects of
all grace synchronisation issues (yes, I believe grace syncing is not a
single issue but a group off issues, therfore it does not lead you directly
to an solution), so finally the "issue 34" can be solved in the core of
lilypond one day in the future.

Arnold