Re: 13th chord?

From: Anthony Youngman
Subject: Re: 13th chord?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 14:11:23 +0000

On 26/02/17 13:55, Anthony Youngman wrote:
On 26/02/17 13:38, address@hidden wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017, Anthony Youngman wrote:
EXCEPT.

This is *exactly* the scenario in which you will want my chord
transposition
code, and that doesn't make sense in a lyrics scenario.

Then they can use the existing code.

In which case, won't they get the existing problem? ie if they ask for
"C13" they will get "C 9 13 (A 9 13)" ?

It's a long time ago, but as far as I remember my code simply takes the
root of the chord, drops it by the capo setting, and then redoes the
chord name to put it after the correct pitch chord name. So if the
current code messes up, my capo code is going mess up, and mskala's
lyrics-based code just won't work, without him putting in a load of
extra stuff in to handle it.

Replying to myself - remember, you said the user shouldn't notice any difference. With my code, if you want to change the capo key, it's a one-character change at the start of the lily input file. With your lyrics-based code, I'm guessing you'll have to manually enter every single transposition in the first place, and then if you want to change the capo you'll have to go through them all again.

The reason I use lily is that I find it is very good at automating stuff that is difficult to do manually - like transposition! It feels to me like your code is asking for trouble.

Cheers,
Wol