Re: naming a glyph

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: naming a glyph
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 09:36:05 +1000

Hi Freeman,

Let us know what you re trying to do. Why do you want to create a glyph?

Are you new to lilypond? If so, welcome to the Pond!

Andrew

On 20 May 2018 at 22:44, Freeman Gilmore <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 5:01 AM, Torsten Hämmerle <address@hidden> wrote:
Freeman Gilmore wrote
> ​Where are the rules for naming a glyph located?

The naming conventions for glyph names can be found in mf/README:

mf/README wrote

> Glyph name rules

> Most glyph names have the form
> <group>
> .
> <name>
> , where
> <group>
>  is defined with the 'fet_begingroup' command, and
> <name>
>  is given with 'fet_beginchar' (within a 'fet_begingroup' block).
> Example: 'clefs.vaticana.fa'.
>
> Sometimes it would be sensible to use negative numbers in glyph names.
> However, the '-' character shouldn't be used in a glyph name.  Replace it
> with 'M'.  For example, write 'rests.M3mensural' instead of
> 'rests.-3mensural'.
>
> Glyphs that exist in both an 'up' and 'down' version should start the
> <name>
>  part with either 'u' or 'd', respectively.  Example: 'flags.d3',
> 'flags.u3'.  Glyphs that are neutral w.r.t. the direction, and where
> members of the glyph group exist that have 'up' and 'down' versions,
> should start with an 's'.
> Example: 'noteheads.s0re'.

All the Emmentaler glyph names can be found in the  LilyPond Notation
Reference: Appendix A.8 - The Emmentaler font
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/the-emmentaler-font.html

You can generate a list of all the Emmentaler glyph names using the scheme
function ly:otf-glyph-list:

  #(pretty-print (ly:otf-glyph-list (ly:system-font-load "emmentaler-20")))

HTH,
Torsten

This is still confusing, I read mf/README several time before asked my question.   The above helps.  I do not know how to ask this because this is all new to me.   Say I was going to create the glyph “#” for the first time.   Using the naming convention I name it “accidentals.sharp” (if this is the complete name?).   BUT I would use the name (or one of it equals) “…is” to print “#...”?

Why two names?

What convention is used for the second name (not a part of mf/readme); this is the one I am more interested in?

Is “#” markup (not clear what this means)?

Thank you,

ƒg