Re: Switching to drummode and back

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Switching to drummode and back
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 19:56:09 -0700

On 2018-06-19 12:55, foxfanfare wrote:
This is a saxophone part, and I wanted him to play the rhythm of the first 3 measures (probably with sticks). I thought it was best to have this part
only on one line since it isn't written for multiple pitched drums.

As an aside, I really hope you subtitle this part "sax'n'stix".  :)

Multi-line staves are not just for pitched percussion. The standard trap set is written to five lines, for instance. Of course, if you have only one instrument, a single line is certainly sufficient.

I have never encountered a mixture of staff types as in your example; but that said, I probably wouldn't be that confused by it. It certainly does help make the part stand out, but I would argue the "cross" note head alone would be enough. So, I would probably stick with the five-line normal staff and just annotate the percussion notes suitably anytime they appear.

Another thing to consider: Is this stick part a recurring thing in the song or just part of the introduction? If the latter, you might consider typesetting the parts independently of each other. Have the first system on the page be a simple RhythmicStaff (or DrumStaff), and then break for a normal melodic Staff for the rest of the song. You'll need to correct the measure numbering, but otherwise it might be a cleaner way to do it from the perspective of the .ly file.

This solution works but it is the first time I write for percussions and I don't know if it is the "good" way to achieve this. As the RythmicStaff was
allready meant to use only one line, I wondered if it wasn't more
appropriate?

As in English grammar, I ascribe to a descriptivist approach where there is rarely a definitive, singular "right" way to communicate. That is, as long as your notation is able to relay your ideas clearly enough for musicians to follow and produce a desirable outcome, it is by all means sufficiently correct. On the other hand, if your notation ever confuses people or becomes an obstacle, then it needs improvement.

At the end of the day, you could always take what you have (or an early preview) and see if your instrumentalist likes it or not. Unless you are preparing something for a wide and unknown audience, you probably have more latitude than you realize.

-- Aaron Hill