Re: Global Variable vs Edition Engraver

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Global Variable vs Edition Engraver
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 18:29:11 -0400

Hello,

My choice to move barlines to the EE is based on the fact that I have many
large-scale works — operas, musicals, and the like — made up of small movements
which may join together in different ways. For example, "Waiting", the
11-o'clock number from "Fairy Tale Ending", continues attacca into underscore
for the following scene when it’s sung in the musical, but [obviously] ends
with a double-bar when it’s sung as a standalone tune; so I use the EE to add a
thin double-bar to the scores and parts for the musical, and a double-bar to
standalone scores (e.g., the "Piano/Vocal Selections" version).

Rehearsal marks (i.e., letters) have recently moved for essentially the same
reason: piano/vocal selections rarely (if ever) include rehearsal letters. But
there are other rehearsal marks (D.C., etc.) which need to be included in all
versions, so they are in the global variable.

Essentially, every time I’m forced to use the \tag mechanism to bifurcate
output is a likely candidate for EE usage.

Cheers,
Kieren.

> On Jul 9, 2018, at 6:20 PM, Craig Dabelstein <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi gents,
>
> Thanks for your advice. Jan-Peter, I do something similar with a global
> "timeline" or structure with barlines, key signatures, repeats, rehearsal
> marks. I was just wondering if I was behind the times and not keeping up with
> the EE. I'm just trying to make my code as concise as possible.
>
> Thanks guys,
> Craig

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info