Re: Some text formatting advice

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Some text formatting advice
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 06:25:04 -0700 (MST)

Urs Liska-3 wrote
> Now I'll "only" have to find a reliable way of referring the block text
> formatting to LaTeX (and in a way that it looks consistent with the
> remaining text ...

Yes, LaTeX adds a new level of complexity (at least as far as consistent
typography is concerned), but after all, it'd be great if LilyPond had some
of the mighty TeX features (boxes in general, italic correction, etc.).

But (back to topic) I just noticed that your first "Longa." box had an empty
third line.

If you remove this empty third line, even without overriding
outside-staff-priority, the markup box will not be pushed up as long as the
notes fit beneath it. It was this "place holder's" fault that the text had
been pushed up,

staff-padding will use the top line of the box for alignment and you don't
need to fill it up by adding empty lines.
I just inserted an empty line in between to match the faksimile.

This all seems confusing because one does not see exaclty what's happening
and how positioning is actually done.
In these cases, I often use boxes (with box-padding 0) around markup blocks
in order to see the actual extents of the markup. From LilyPond's point of
view, this does not happen "without no need" at all, and the box clearly
shows the empty third line adding to the box depth.

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/test-text-align-2.png>

above: invisible empty line causes unwanted offset.
below: skylines work as expected

HTH
Torsten