Re: synchronization of feathered beams

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: synchronization of feathered beams
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 19:07:51 +0100

Am Fr., 21. Dez. 2018 um 17:51 Uhr schrieb Reggie <address@hidden>:

> Thomas Morley-2 wrote
> > Meanwhile I think you didn't understand that feathered beams, done with
> > \override Beam.grow-direction = #RIGHT
> > and
> > \featherDurations
> > are _independant_ from each other. See:
> >
> > \version "2.19.82"
> >
> > {
> >   r2..
> >   \featherDurations #(ly:make-moment 1 2)
> >   { c''32[ 32 32 32 32 32 32 32] } r2..
> > }
> >
> > The old message you quoted previously, explains already that
> > \featherDurations changes the durations of the notes.
> > With those changed durations LilyPonds spacing engine may insert
> > different spacings between those notes.
> > Ofcourse things like barchecks fail if applied to the _unchanged_ notes.
> >
> > So it seems to me your problem has _nothing_ to do with feathered
> > Beams but with featherDurations and it's consequences.
> >
> > Probably don't use featherDurations at all, but use a custom function
> > to space the note-columns, only for the visible output, without
> > changing their durations (midi would not reflect any
> > accelerando/rallentando then ofcourse).
> >

> > Cheers,
> >   Harm

> Harm I don't use MIDI so a custom function could work great yes for visual
> spacing. But please bear with me on this for a second. If the durations
> command already spaces them out then why doesn't this work *every* time? I
> understand both commands are independent yes thank you. But I presumed that
> I needed durations to space out the notes correctly like Gould and
> publishing houses all over do.
>
> Why would I need a custom function to do what featherdurations does if I'm
> misunderrstanding?

\featherDurations changes durations, nothing more!! It does not change
spacing on it's own.
The changed spacing is more a side-effect. Doing note-spacing is a
very involved process, durations are only one element of the
calculation.

So I ensure you \featherDuarations will _always_ affect the
_durations_ of it's argument, though, whether the resulting spacing is
really what you desire? Probably/likely/sometimes not.

> I wouldn't even know how to make this function besides. Sorry.

Well, there are some good coders on the list ;)
Not sure, if I'll have the time to give it a try ...

Cheers,
  Harm