Re: weird error with \repeat tremolo

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: weird error with \repeat tremolo
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 03:11:08 -0800

On 2019-02-25 2:15 am, Thomas Morley wrote:
Am Mo., 25. Feb. 2019 um 11:02 Uhr schrieb N. Andrew Walsh
<address@hidden>:

Hi Aaron,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:50 AM Aaron Hill <address@hidden> wrote:
   You could try manually lengthening

the stem to see if it helps as a possible workaround.

I've gone all the way out to

 \once \override Beam.positions = #'(-20 . -24)

and still get the error, so I don't think tweaking stem length is going to help. Any idea what the error might be? Is there a bug report?

Thanks for the help,

Some discussion here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2019-02/msg00000.html

I was so certain I had posted to the bug alias on this issue, but I cannot find it. It was a pretty big write up too, testing lots of things. But I am feeling like I must have dreamt it, since there's no trace. :-/

Here another minimal:

\relative c'' {
  %\voiceOne
  d16. d32 \repeat tremolo 4 { b32 }
}

Looks like the error happens only if stems are pointing down, thus
above compiles fine if voiceOne is uncommented.

The issue doesn't seem to be precisely stem direction. You can trigger it with this:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
{ a32 8..:32 }
%%%%

If you change the note to g, then it works. Lower notes result in a longer stem, which is why I had thought it might have something to do with stem length.

But then I found that beam-thickness can affect things too:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
{ \override Beam.beam-thickness = #0.488934 a32 8..:32 }
%%%%

This fails, but change the thickness to #0.488935 or higher and it works.

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
{ \override StemTremolo.beam-thickness = #0.465801 a32 8..:32 }
%%%%

Again, this will fail, but *lower* the thickness to #0.465800 and it works.

-- Aaron Hill