lmi

[lmi] wxHelpController versus wxxrc tooltips

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] wxHelpController versus wxxrc tooltips
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:35:20 +0000

We've been talking about adapting the interactive help system
from our legacy application to use wxHelpController. Now I've
stumbled across the 'tooltip' tag in wxxrc and discovered that
it can be used for controls in a notebook page or dialog, which
is one of the things I suppose wxHelpController would do.

I would guess that these facilities are orthogonal, and that we
should therefore prefer the more powerful wxHelpController.

But sometimes I guess wrong, so I thought I'd ask. The ideal
would be that wxHelpController somehow extracts tooltips (and
maybe even 'help' and 'longhelp' tags) from '.xrc' files--even
more ideally, at run time, without recompiling the help file.
My reason for thinking this would be ideal is that help files
are more likely to be kept synchronized with source files if
their contents are extracted from source files.

At any rate, I've added tooltips to the 'skeleton' branch only,
and anyone who wants to experiment with them can build that.
Let me note some limitations of wxxrc tooltips that don't seem
ideal, if I may use that word again: they don't display for
 - wxStaticText controls
 - disabled controls that could accept focus if enabled
 - tabs on notebook pages
The only 'TTS' style I found in the msw implementation is
'TTS_ALWAYSTIP', so I don't immediately see why these things
don't work. But, again, I imagine that wxHelpController is
the One True Way that we should focus on.