lmi

Re: [lmi] wxHelpController versus wxxrc tooltips

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] wxHelpController versus wxxrc tooltips
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:55:40 +0000

On 2006-3-22 2:49 UTC, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2006-3-22 1:18 UTC, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:35:20 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>GC> Let me note some limitations of wxxrc tooltips that don't seem
>>GC> ideal, if I may use that word again: they don't display for
>>GC>  - wxStaticText controls
>>
>> I think this should work in 2.7 (and while I didn't test it yet, I'd
>>definitely fix it if it's still a problem).

It does work with the wx HEAD that I checked out a couple days ago.

>>GC>  - disabled controls that could accept focus if enabled
>>
>> This doesn't/can't work, indeed. And it's annoying as sometimes you'd
>>really like to have help exactly to know what do you need to do to make
>>this control enabled.

I wanted to understand this better, so I did some searching.
At least for msw, I found two techniques that are claimed to work:

http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/controls/controls/tooltipcontrols/article.php/c2277/
|      The hwnd of the WM_MOUSEMOVE above a disabled control
|      is the hWnd of the Dialog itself, this confuse the tooltip
|
|      To correct this, if we get WM_MOUSEMOVE and the hwnd is the
|      dialog's hwnd
|
|      We check on all the controls that are Visible, but disabled
|      if the point is in their rectangle.
|
| In this case we alter the msg to the controls hWnd and coordinates before
| Relaying it to the toolTip control

http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/controls/controls/tooltipcontrols/article.php/c2271/
[Send TTM_WINDOWFROMPOINT to get the window under the point, even
if it's a disabled control; change LPARAM to that window to make
the tooltip show that window's text.]

Do you find those ideas interesting for wx-msw?

Does gtk already show tooltips for disabled controls?