lmi

Re: [lmi] EVT_UPDATE_UI occurring when !wxTheApp->IsActive()

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] EVT_UPDATE_UI occurring when !wxTheApp->IsActive()
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 02:18:33 +0200

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:11:43 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> * Ultimate cause
GC>
GC> I believe the underlying problem is that XmlNotebook::UponUpdateGUI()
GC> was called when the application wasn't active. Shouldn't that ideally
GC> be prevented?

 Hello again,

 I agree with your analysis and think that your fix in lmi is correct but
I'm not sure (which, I guess, means that I don't agree) that this is the
best thing to do in general.

GC> I see no reason why EVT_UPDATE_UI events should be sent while the
GC> application is not active, and I suppose that those events might have
GC> other deleterious consequences that we just haven't noticed yet.

 Why shouldn't the applicating running in the background be able to
dynamically update its UI? Imagine you have a button called "Paste" which
should only be active when there is text available on the clipboard. A
natural way to implement this would be to use an EVT_UPDATE_UI handler.
And are we really sure that we don't want to update the button state even
when the application is not active? Doing what you propose would make this
impossible and I am not sure that nobody uses this possibility.

 Regards,
VZ