lmi

Re: [lmi] Anonymous git checkout failure

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Anonymous git checkout failure
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 18:07:52 +0100

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 18:18:04 +0000 "Murphy, Kimberly" <address@hidden> wrote:

MK> Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
MK>
MK> > On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 12:56:01 +0000 "Murphy, Kimberly"
MK> > <address@hidden> wrote:
MK> >
MK> > MK> Do my results with GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1 offer any indication as to what
MK> > may
MK> > MK> be going on?
MK> >
MK> >  Comparing them with my own results, I see a crucial difference:
MK> > MK> < HTTP/1.1 200 OK
MK> >
MK> >  Instead of getting the 200 reply here, I get the following:
MK> >
MK> > < HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
MK> From my browser, I can 'Open' or 'Save' the refs from
MK> git.savannah.nongnu.org.

 I think the most likely explanation is that your browser is configured
(perhaps automatically, i.e. by group policy or whatever) to use the
company proxy, which works, but git doesn't use it -- and so it doesn't.

 To verify if this is the case and hopefully fix the problem, you need to
find which HTTP proxy is being used. Apparently there are several ways in
which it can be configured, but hopefully you will find a way that works
for you among the answers to http://superuser.com/q/346372/60311 And if
nothing there works, I could write a small program calling
WinHttpGetIEProxyConfigForCurrentUser() and displaying its result -- please
let me know if I should do it.

 Once you have the proxy IP address and port, you need to execute the
following command in Cygwin prompt:

        $ git config --global http.proxy http://user:address@hidden:port

to tell git about it. I don't have a proxy to test this with, but I'd
expect you would see references to the proxy in git diagnostics (i.e.
output with GIT_CURL_VERBOSE or GIT_TRACE set to 1) after doing this.
And I'd also expect "git clone" to work... Please let me know if I am being
too optimistic.

 Good luck,
VZ