lout-users

Re: Floating figures are naughty

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Floating figures are naughty
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:16:28 +1000

Mark Burton wrote:

> stopping lout placing figures that should appear near the end of some
> section at the top of the page that starts the next section (when
> creating a Report) ... I am using TryAfterLine

It sounds like Lout is doing the best it can here.  If TryAfterLine is
putting the figure on the next page, then there isn't enough room on
this page, so I don't see how there can be any viable alternative.

> A single line of normal text (i.e. not in a figure) has been
> placed at the bottom of a page below two figures in a space that
> isn't tall enough fo the line.

I'm pretty sure that this problem is discussed somewhere in the fine
print of the Figures section of the user's guide, and the solution
recommended there is to use a figure placement whose exact name I
forget but whose effect is to cause the second figure to occupy the
entire page, leaving no room for even a squeezed line below it.

> How does one stop a footnote marker being placed at the start of a
> new line rather than at the end of the previous line.

This sounds like a bug; I'll look into it.  Meanwhile you should be
able to work around the problem by replacing

   wordwithfootnoteattached
   @FootNote { ... }

by

   @OneCol {
   wordwithfootnoteattached
   @FootNote { ... }
   }

More generally, you can't expect Lout to produce perfect-looking output
all the time.  I quite frequently rewrite documents, at the very end,
to improve the layout.

Jeff