lout-users

Re: Floating figures are naughty

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Floating figures are naughty
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:39:37 +0400

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 09:16:28AM +1000, Jeff Kingston wrote:

> More generally, you can't expect Lout to produce perfect-looking output
> all the time.  I quite frequently rewrite documents, at the very end,
> to improve the layout.

I think that this is true for most if not all systems, though some
performs better and require less human intervention.

A small page on ``Page Layout'' by R.Stevens at

    http://www.kohala.com/~rstevens/pagelayout.html

might give some insights.  Richard is surely well know to most of you
as the author of such definitive and unsurpassed books as "TCP/IP
Illustrated", "Unix Network Programming" and "Advanced Programming in
the Unix Environment".  In the page above he discusses how he lays out
his books and gives real examples from the "Unix Network Programming".

In particular, as an epigraph to the page, he quotes

   The Chicago Manual of Style (14th Edition, Section 19.40) says

     "Makeup is a highly skilled procedure.  If the text is merely
     divided mechanically into portions of equal length, without regard
     to where the divisions fall, some of the pages that result are
     bound to be unacceptable logically or aesthetically: they will
     incorporate bad breaks."

SY, Uwe