lout-users

Re: Inputting data for web-based forms generator

From: kersten
Subject: Re: Inputting data for web-based forms generator
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:14:58 +0100 (CET)

On 14 Dec, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 10:51:32AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> I've tried using 'tagged PDF forms', but the restrictions on graphics
>> lout enforces appeared to be unacceptable to me.
>
> What restrictions are those?  PDF format (spec available from Adobe's
> site) relies on a xref table(s) that gives file offsets for what PDF
> calls indirect objects.  You can't insert stuff in the middle of a PDF
> file since this will ruin the offsets.  This is not Lout's fault, it's
> the way PDF works.

That will most certainly be true, but that's not what I ment. My
application requires included EPS graphics. Lout can cope with that in
PS mode, but not in PDF mode. gs doesn't care. So while 'tagged PDF
forms' an sich are working fine, they don't meat my requirements.
Generating 'tagged PS forms' and then using gs to generate PDF *before*
filling the form doesn't work, because gs demolishes the tags.

If there *is* a way to work with PDF, lout and graphics without falling
back to gs, I would be pleased to hear that.

I hope that clears things up enough.

CU,
--
Pieter J. Kersten; Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam, dept. DI&A/S&N,
WH2-20, B. Oudlaan 50, 3062 PA Rotterdam, Netherlands;