lout-users

Re: pie charts in Lout

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Re: pie charts in Lout
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:25:49 +0100

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 02:58 am, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Wednesday, October 23, 2002 at 10:57:15 (+1100), Jeff Kingston wrote:
> ]
>
> > Subject: pie charts in Lout
> >
> > The next release of Lout will have pie charts.
>
> Yeah!
>
> > If you are interested in pie charts, and especially if you are
> > one of the people who requested them, please take a look at
> >
> >     ftp://ftp.it.usyd.edu.au/~jeff/lout/pie.ps
>
> FYI that should be:
>
>      ftp://ftp.it.usyd.edu.au/~jeff/lout/pie.ps

      ftp://ftp.it.usyd.edu.au/jeff/lout/pie.ps

> > This is a proposed new chapter of the User's Guide covering
> > pie charts.  Let me have any comments on the package and
> > documentation asap.  I will revise them in the light of
> > comments and release the revised version with the next
> > Lout release, which should be in the next few weeks.
>
> Looks great!  The only suggestion I have at the moment is that it might
> be nice to have fingerstyle { arrow } to draw fingers with arrows (maybe
> in combination with the other current line styles, and maybe even with
> the ability to control which end(s) the arrow(s) is(are) on too).

I've read the chapter and the @Pie symbol does everything I can think
of, except for having arrowheads options for the fingers as you mention
above. I don't think that fingerstyle is the right option though,
because this governs the style of the line rather than its endpoints.
I would have thought the arrowstyle, arrowlength and arrowwidth options
that the @Diag package uses would be ideal.

> Can
> the finger lines be set so that they end just before the slices?

I would want that too, but I think Jeff's done it. My understanding of
the text is that if you set

    fingerradius { 1.0 }

then the finger's inner endpoint will be at 100% of the radius, i.e. on
the edge of the pie.

I really look forward to this package being available: thanks Jeff!

--
Mark.