lout-users

Re: Producing a hymn book

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Producing a hymn book
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:24:34 +1100

> there are 2 or 3 places where the hymn is at the bottom of a
> page with the copyright stuff at the top of the next page.
> def @Hymn left x right y { @LP {Bold 20p} @Font x @RCD y }

I think the problem is inside @RCD; it contains a breakable
vertical space of zero height.  I tried to fix things by
removing @RCD and replacing it with raw Lout symbols:

    def @Hymn
        named title {}
        named copyright {}
        right verses
    {
        {Bold +8p} @Font title
        //0.5fu
        |0.5rt { lines 1.2fxu } @Break verses
        //0.5fu
        |1rt @OneRow copyright
    }

I tend to avoid spaces at the beginning and end of symbols,
so I omitted your @LP from the definition of @Hymn.  I added
"lines @Break" around the verses, not sure why you didn't.

But then I hit a deficiency in the current implementation of
Lout, which causes it to refuse to break between verses with
this definition, even though the Expert's Guide clearly says
that it should, and using @RCD it does.  I did some debugging
and found that the implementation handles the kinds of objects
you get when you use @RCD, but not the simpler kind you get
when you use the definition above.  Grrr.

There are various horrible workarounds that you can probably
find yourself.  If not, let me know.

Jeff