Re: [Ltib] mpc8349e-mitx LTIB upgrade to 2.6.22

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] mpc8349e-mitx LTIB upgrade to 2.6.22
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:48:10 +0000

Hi Steve,

Lots of questions here, I'll try to answer as best I can.

Your basic approach is sound, you can upgrade kernels.  However you need
to find one that works for your targeted platform.

The way LTIB works is that LTIB has BSP abstractions.  These define a
set of references (through spec files) that are used to build kernels
and other packages.  In the case of the 8349itx, the last ones release
by Freescale were the 2.6.13/16 with a set of patches that the BSP
engineers made for them.   The content that LTIB references is stored on
the GPP here: http://www.bitshrine.org/gpp/  this is just a web
directory that had all the sources/patches we use.

So in your case, you can't expect to upgrade to 2.6.22 and automatically
see a set of mpc8349itx patch there, unless someone created them for
that version.  Also it's quite likely that many of the patches for
earlier kernels get obsoleted as they get merged upstream.

To answer your specific questions:

1/ Yes you may be able to get this work, but you first need to discover
which is the most appropriate recent kernel and what (if anything) is
needed for the 8349itx.  I will ask the people I know and get back to
you if there is anything.

2/ You can find out what's available by visiting this url:
http://www.bitshrine.org/gpp/ however this is not correlated in any way.
The thing that groups the files for a package are the spec files in
LTIB.

3/ The general rule is that for patches that are not temporary
work-arounds, they are send upstream to kernel.org for merging.  This
usually means that later kernels incorporate the patches seen in earlier
kernels (in LTIB).

Note also for later kernels (after 2.6.16?) you may need to upgrade your
u-boot to handle the flat device tree (dtb).  I'm not an expert on this
and you'll need to ask elsewhere.  I suspect if your kernel is okay,
this may be causing your boot problems.

Regards, Stuart