Re: [Ltib] Programming for an ltib system

From: Magnus Therning
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Programming for an ltib system
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 16:24:41 +0200

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 10:07, Stuart Hughes <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
>
> LTIB is not ever intended to be an IDE or development environment. However
> what it can help with is packaging up your work so you can build and deploy
> in a repeatable fashion onto a number of different target platforms.
>
> With respect to developing your own package, you have 2 options.
>
> 1. The simplest, it to take the example 'helloworld' package and adapt that
> to use your own code.
[...]

That seems like a somewhat hack-ish way of doing it. Still it's good
to know for those quick-and-dirty jobs :)

> 2. The other way, which is more geared at real on-going package development
> is to use the directory-build process.  I don't have time to describe this
> now, but the basics are shown in:
>
> dist/lfs-5.1/u-boot/u-boot-dir-build.spec.in
> dist/lfs-5.1/u-boot/u-boot-common.tmpl (this is an example, yours can be
> simpler)
> config/userspace/u-boot-dir-build.lkc
> config/platform/mpc8360epb/main.lkc (this is an example of how to wire in)
>
> The idea is that you point at the directory you have under cvs/git/svn
> control and LTIB will build it for you with spoofing so you don't need any
> CFLAGS/LDFLAGS etc.
>
> Sorry I don't have more time to explain, but I hope it gives a few clues.

This feels a bit more reliable, and more like "the right way". It took
a little while to figure it all out, but I do have it working nicely
now. I had to make the following modifications:

1. Adding an option for including my package to the config, and a path
entry in case the option is turned on.
2. Modifying 'ltib' itself so that the config variable holding the
path makes it into the environment for use in the spec file.
3. A spec file.

Thanks for the pointers, they really did help a lot.

Another question I ran into was how to get to the kernel headers when
compiling my package. Should I point to the headers in
$LTIB/rpm/BUILD/linux/include or is there a better place to use? (I
didn't find such a pointer in the rpmbuild environment, it would be a
handy thing to have pre-defined, no?)

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: address@hidden   jabber: address@hidden