lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] Suggestion re ARP

From: Zschocke, Florian
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] Suggestion re ARP
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:30:22 +0200

Leon Woestenberg wrote on Thursday, April 29, 2004 10:52 AM:

> That´s true. But I am talking about inbound *IP* traffic
> accepted by the local host (running lwIP). In this case, should
> inbound packets result in their source address being add to the
> ARP cache?

Maybe I misinterpreted you saying that the algorithm is "protocol agnostic".
The algorithm described in RFC 826 does only act on ARP packets. Quote:
"When an address resolution packet is received, the receiving Ethernet
module gives the packet to the Address Resolution module which goes through
an algorithm similar to the following."

So any ARP cache updates are done only when an ARP packet was received.
Normal IP traffic does not affect the ARP cache.

Florian