lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] LWIP on a gigabit LAN

From: Roger Cover
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] LWIP on a gigabit LAN
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:52:10 -0700

Howdy Jacob,

I have been using lwIP on a gigabit LAN for a while now. The highest
sustained throughput I can get is just over 8 gigabytes per second. My
application is sending UDP datagrams. The slow speed is not the fault of
lwIP. My application spends about 27% of its time operating my hardware
system, less than 2% inside functions in lwIP, and the remaining 71% of
its time inside the driver.

The driver I am using is amazingly inefficient. It is based on the
Xilinx (Virtex-2 Pro) driver for lwIP 0.6.3. I have updated it for
better performance and to operate with lwIP 1.2.0. If you have an
efficient driver you should be able to send a pretty high volume of data
through lwIP.

The quality of the driver you are using will be the major issue. You
should also plan on replacing the default checksum routine in lwIP with
an assembly routine (see the thread titled "Gigabit Ethernet and lwIP").

Regards,
Roger