lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LWIP on a gigabit LAN

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LWIP on a gigabit LAN
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:39:18 +0100

Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:
On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 14:50 -0700, Roger Cover wrote:
Sorry, 8 megabytes.

In my first tests I seem to be getting around 25-30 megabytes per
second. I suppose that to get better performance I need TCP Window
Scaling and perhaps SACK. I found mention of SACK in LwIP here:
http://edin.no-ip.com/html/?q=node/57 , but am not sure how to find the
patch for it. Has anyone experimented with Window Scaling?

The patch is in that link! It appears to implement reception (but not generation) of SACKs, and window scaling. It would be interesting to experiment with, although perhaps my experience with window scaling is limited, but the patch doesn't look entirely right, e.g.:

+        pcb->snd_scale = scale;
+        pcb->rcv_scale = 2;

It sets the receiver's scaling to 2, but that is never advertised in the SYN (indeed no window scaling is supported for transmission in this patch).

And it all has rather non-deterministic consequences for memory use that cannot be limited by the user. Still, this patch looks pretty close.

Jifl