lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Rapid tcp sending leads to a very long chain of pbufs

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Rapid tcp sending leads to a very long chain of pbufs
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:47:10 +0100

Muhamad Ikhwan Ismail wrote:
Another question would be, is there a way for me to force TCP to send instead queueing ? Like some kind of flush function?
If you always want to send right away, use the TCP_NODELAY socketoption like Fabian said. If you only want to flush at certain points, you _can_ set TCP_NODELAY and set it back again, but that's kind of slow...

The truth is that lwIP does not perform well in situations where you send byte per byte, but tell me a platform that does...

As to the limit of your hardware to 12 pbufs max: you can achieve this by setting TCP_SND_QUEUELEN to 16 but this is also not very performant since data is held back until the previous pbufs are sent and acked.

The two possible solutions you have right now are either to modify your ethernet driver or to redesign your application to not call send() for each byte. The latter would of course be the better solution.

Simon