lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Security implemented in LWIP

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Security implemented in LWIP
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 17:33:37 +0100

The memp err simply says all TCP PCBs are in use. The expected behaviour would be that every SYN leads to allocating a PCB and a SYN+ACK is sent back. However, with a SYN flood attack, the originator does not respond to that SYN+ACK (as it normally would, with an ACK). Instead, the PCBs are left in a half open state and lwIP should retransmit the SYN+ACK until a timeout occurs (don't know how long that is). Until that timeout has occurred, lwIP will not process any new connection (due to lack of resources, i.e. PCBs).

As far as I know, this is exactly what is supposed to happen under a SYN flood attack. The interesting point is whether lwIP correctly handles the timeouts of the half-open PCBs and eventually closes them. If so, the device should behave normally again. But as I said, unfortunately I have no idea of the time span here... I guess Kieran or Jifl could help out with that value.

Simon

Piero 74 wrote:
i tried nessus...

i have 3 listener in my lwip application
i configured:

/**
 * MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB: the number of simulatenously active TCP connections.
 * (requires the LWIP_TCP option)
 */
#define MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB                (3+0+1)   //

/**
 * MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB_LISTEN: the number of listening TCP connections.
 * (requires the LWIP_TCP option)
 */
#define MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB_LISTEN         3

after a scan with nessus, i cannot connect to my board.
Sniffing with wireshark, i saw that lwip didn't answer to syn packet.
Debugging the code, i checked:
- no problem in driver, all pbufs are freed. Infact, the board answers if i ping it
- seeing lwip_stats, i saw this:
   memp[TCP_PCB]
       - avail = 4
       - used = 4
       - max = 4
       - err = 45

for each attempt to connect to board, err grows.

what's the problem????

thanks
Piero

2009/1/28 Piero 74 <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>

        > Where? Is it a lwip bug? is it already solved in current
        cvs? (i'm
        > using last 1.3.0 release)

        Yes it was a bug in LwIP. See:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?24596

    i suppose i have to spent some time to align my code to current
    cvs... or waiting 1.3.1 release!

        > which tool i can use to simulate a flood attack and debug
        the driver
        > and the stack?

        A good starting point would be nessus, which already covers a
        huge load of vulnerability tests.
        Other name-droppings would include:
        - metasploit
        - isic, ipload
        - ettercap
        ... lots of others and basically everything from
http://sectools.org/ :o) <http://sectools.org/>

    thanks... i have just downloaded nessus... and thanks for the site!

        > yes... i want to filer in the driver, not in lwip.. and i
        know... it
        > is not a definitive solution, but can mitigate the problem.

        Still a SYN-Flood will create a lot of load and starve
        resources. On an embedded device this can make the device
unusable. Nothing mitigated there.

    i agree with you... but i have to try to do something...

        > yes.... i said the same thing to our marketing.... "put the
        device
        > behind a firewall!!".... but the answer was... security
        features
        > inside the device are good marketing arguments.... :O|

        Is it? Does marketing and customers care about security
        features or just about the Sticker that says "super-secure
inside"?

    ... the second you said, of course! I think if a customer realy
    care about security, he will use a firewall!!

    Thanks,
    Piero