lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV developing cache for lynx

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV developing cache for lynx
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 19:38:07 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Harendra Kumar wrote:

>       here we are trying to develop such a cache for lynx that every
> person using lynx browser can access it.We are having source code of
> lynx 2.6 version .The O.S. we are using is Linux.The cache is intended to be
> formed such that when a person sends a request to any site the file is first
> searched in the local common cache if it is not there then only the
> browser will download it.

Hello, this issue just went round the list about a month or more ago.
Your best solution is to download the CERN httpd server (from www.w3c.org)
or the Apache httpd server (version 1.1 or later)(from www.apache.org) and
set them up as a caching proxy and set Lynx's proxy to point to your
server.  If you are running Linux, chances are you already have Apache.
Slackware 96 came with version 1.0 of Apache, but 1.1 is required to be
used as a caching proxy.

With this method, you can run a web server and a cache with no additional
overhead.  The configuration on these caches is also very flexible.  I'm
sure someone on the list probably knows a little bit more about this than
me...