lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Page that makes Lynx crash

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Page that makes Lynx crash
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 20:52:09 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Jean-Pierre Chevalier wrote:
>
>> Em 5 Dec 1996, Klaus Weide escreveu:
>>
>> : On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Jean-Pierre Chevalier wrote:
>> :
>> : > I want to report a fatal error in Lynx 2.3.7 BETA
>> : > and Lynx 2.4-FM.  Lynx crashes while opening my
>> : > page at "http://www.nyx.net/~jchevali/form2.html";
>> : > which is in turn a Webtechs' Validation Svc report.
>> : > It says: exiting with signal  11 via interrupt 0.
>> : > HTH, address@hidden
>
>[ excerpt from Webtechs output snipped ]
>> : Is this really what Webtechs puts out?  Somehow I doubt it...
>> :
>> :   Klaus:
>>
>> As I said, Webtechs produced the report when told to validate
>> my other page at "http://www.nyx.net/~jchevali/form1.html";.
>> You should check "Show parsed output" if you want to verify.
>
>You were right, Webtechs produced that (but when "Show Formatted Output"
>was selected), apparently by mistake.  It has already been changed
>at the Webtechs site (quick response!).
>
>So thanks for reporting that, it led to the discovery of a mistake at
>the validator and also of problems in Lynx.
>
>> I went and tried  `Lynx/2.6  libwww-FM/2.14'  and yes,
>> it also crash.  Just that it does when it reachs the
>> specific page, rather than right after loading, as
>> the older versions did.  I wonder what is in there...
>
>So you see that Lynx2.6 is more stable :)  (but not perfect.)

        Sure it is!!!!  I added the crash protection for that within
two minutes after it was reported. :) :) :)

>By the way the crash did not occur with the brand new -popup flag
>from the latest development code (from
>and it did also not occur with the -dump flag.

        That's because -popup converts SELECT blocks to radio buttons,
so there's no attempt to handle the invalid OPTIONs markup because it
converts that to INPUT TYPE="radio", and it's no longer invalid. :) :)
-dump, -source, and -mime_header would block the crash because interactive
curses isn't turned on.

                                Fote