Re: lynx-dev URL guessing for .CA domain suggestion

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev URL guessing for .CA domain suggestion
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 12:36:42 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Wed Oct  7 20:47:33 1998
> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 20:23:29 -0700 (MST)
> From: Dave Eaton <address@hidden>
> On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> > It would be really great to disable URL guessing for hosts ends
> > with "dot + two letters" since it most likely a country code
> > ...[clip]...
> > a typo in user-defined URL fall into the obviously stupid "URL guessing"
> > proccess like etc. - they definitely not exists.
> While there is no "" or "", the domains you picked
> do exist:
>  Rogers University (Tulsa, OK) = RU.EDU
>  Renaissance Universal (Mainz, DE) = RU.ORG
> Personaly, I'm not a fan of domain guessing ... it masks all the other
> possibilities from the very user who doesn't know enough about the
> Internet to know to look elsewhere. The classic example is those who just
> enter "whitehouse" and get the X-rated site, not the
> one at
> If you are going to change the "guess" logic, please be careful not to
> make it miss even more possibilities.
> If you want to make it more exotic, I'd suggest to provide a <<<CONFIG>>> file
> entry so the user can define what to guess in what order.

Make it either a RUNTIME option (changeable WHILE in midst of lynx),
or an "option" on cmd line, or .cfg --- TEMPORARILY -- until some time
is available to make ALL these things doable FROM a RUNNING lynx.

These config-options are HORRIBLE -- yes, HORRIBLE -- because those
who use the "computer's" version of lynx (compiled by someone
else) then have NO way to change them -- EVER -- without
going through the grief (and disk space, no small thing for those
on "shell accounts" where we have to PAY $$$ for extra disk usage)
of building our own -- SOLELY because of some stupid
config options.

Sorry about the rant -- but after all the recent talk about
options etc being "soon" worked on and mostly being made
changeable DURING a run -- seeing the suggestion to add
even more to the config options, just drives me a bit

Especially for an option that you might want to change back and
forth, depending on the kind of addresses one is looking-up.

Cheers, everyone.

PS: an IDEA (yeah, another great idea from David):

Lets add some options (via minus signs) to the URL!

So you could use the usual fooUrl  (eg file://blah),
OR "-fooOpt `cat myUrlOpts.txt` -barOpt (undoes one of
myUrlOpts.txt's opts) file://blah".

Or, instead of the longwinded `cat foo.txt`,
maybe just @foo.txt  eg the options "at" foo.txt
(perhaps symbolic link).

This idea of adding syntax to a lookup-name can be
really great, eg in some languages' "open" stmt; works
really neatly.  Read left to right, so further ones
override earlier ones.

Maybe if not for THIS suggested option about adding
thingies to the end of url's, but for OTHER things
in lynx.  Is a powerful idea for adding "this time
only" options, no setting & then unsetting needed.