lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Tables in Lynx

From: Collin Forbes
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Tables in Lynx
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:45:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Rob Partington wrote:

> Upon waking this morning, I had a flash of intuition about
> a nice way of handling tables.  20 minutes later, I had my
> first formatted table displaying on the screen.
[...]
> But, damnit, it worked.

Congratulations!  However, I'd like to pipe up and ask if any advanced table
formatting algorithms make it into Lynx, to please also allow the user to
turn it off.

Like many of us, I played with w3m and pointed it at different pages
including one I had written which was heavily table-oriented, but still very
lynx-friendly.  w3m rendered it very poorly, because it tried its best to
represent the layout of the table on the 80 column screen rather than the
structure of the elements inside.

I suppose an ideal situation would be to be able to re-render the page with
tables on or off in the same way comment parsing or image links is handled
now.  Thus when you come to a page which is *unreadable* because of tables,
you could try it the other way.