lynx-dev

Re: expires (was: lynx-dev cache control)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: expires (was: lynx-dev cache control)
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:41:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:

> "Guilty."  The now-old book I have on HTTP recommends putting expire
> times in META tags.  Where should they go?

ITYM book on HTML?  I cannot image a book _on HTTP_ would recommend
that.

They should go where all HTTP headers go of course, among the headers an
HTTP server sends as part of each response.  (In lynx see ']' HEAD.)
Then proxies can see them too, clients can see them even if they don't
parse the HTML (e.g. downloading), and they work for things that are
not HTML (like text/plain).

How to specify header fields for real HTTP headers is a matter of
configuring the server.  In Apache you can do a lot in .htaccess files
(more so in later versions), if properly enabled.  Web space providers
that don't allow customers to set any HTTP headers aren't really doing
their job.  In CGI scripts you can set most header fields directly of
course.

> This is from the 4.01 specs:
> ======
>    The following sample META declaration:
> <META http-equiv="Expires" content="Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:25:27 GMT">
>
>    will result in the HTTP header:
> Expires: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:25:27 GMT
> ======

Unfortunately putting this stuff in META doesn't "result" in this header
to be sent by the server _as_ an HTTP header, for any known servers.

  Klaus