lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx: Summary

From: Dave Eaton
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx: Summary
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:25:46 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> This is the great tragedy of the GPL: it does not make the software
> free for all to use. Despite the inflammatory rhetoric, the author
> of GPLed code does NOT confer all the rights he or she has in the
> code. The right to improve the code and be compensated for doing so
> is intentionally withheld -- out of spite.

Well, cringing at the risk of adding further to this diversion discussion
(or of being informed I have "nothing to contribute to this discussion"),
I'm afraid I just don't see your point or why you insist on belaboring it.

Unless I am misreading it, under the GPL you have (a) free availability of
the code and (b) the right to modify and improve upon it, then submit
those improvements back into the community which is maintaining the
package so that all subsequent users may take advantage of them in future
releases.

Furthermore, if I understand it correctly, you may be paid a salary or
hourly or "piecework" fee for your time working to make such modifications
to GPLed software if you can find someone or some organization willing to
fund you.

I believe several times you have said all you wanted to be able to do was
compensate your programmers who made the improvements you have in mind,
not make money on the "product". Foundations or philanthropists interested
in your changes would seem to be the avenue to take to get your improved
features into the broadest set of hands in the shortest possible time.  If
starting with Lynx is the right place for you, do so, then offer up those
changes as submissions to future versions of Lynx - freely available.

Yes, I have "played" in both worlds. I have created and maintained
"proprietary" software. I have created and maintained several GPLed (as
well as other "open" licensed) software packages. I have found personal
and professional satisfaction in both venues - sometimes for different
reasons.

I hope you may find such satisfaction in some way, but as you know,
"YMMV".

Regards,
 Dave Eaton
--
 Artronic Development  - Your Web Site Solution
 12629 N. Tatum Blvd., PMB #224; Phoenix, AZ 85032