lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev 'lynx -dont-wrap-pre' switch, SET_SKIP_STACK behaviour

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 'lynx -dont-wrap-pre' switch, SET_SKIP_STACK behaviour
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:18:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > I don't like the '+' prefixing convention in SOURCE very much, although
> > it does the job.  But something appended to the previous line (esp. a
> > backslash) would be more obvious.
>
> I rather like the behavior of the vi bundled with Solaris.  It wraps at the
> 80 character edge, but does _not break the line_.

Well it's the conceptual line you are editing that doesnt' get broken;
lynx doesn't really have an equivalent to that, once the lines are
appended to the document structure they are "fixed".  As far as what
the user sees at least.

Another remark (not really important to your point): Lynx always avoids
the last column.  (But I just noticed that -scrollbar uses it.)

> Since the cursor does not
> move with the line, this might not be suitable for Lynx, although scrolling
> would seem to make it clear.

Since lynx's lines are not editable[*], there isn't really a difference
between a line that has become two lines on the one hand, and a line that
is one line but shown on two lines on the other hand.  (Except when you
really are interested in visualizing the original document's line break
structure, in which case you are using lynx as a file viewer, which
arguably you shouldn't...)

* Form fields are a different matter, they are not the lines themselves
but something unmovable within a line.

> I also like most which sticks a "$" at the
> right edge, but then most does horizontal scroll.  (Hint: if someone is
> going to spend a lot of time anyway, working on right-left scrolling might
> make more sense since there wouldn't be a need to break the line.)  $0.02

Yes.

  Klaus