lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev -nozap, poor man's scripting - patch and example

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -nozap, poor man's scripting - patch and example
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 21:48:11 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
> 991031 Klaus Weide explained:
> > On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
> >> at present,  /  and  n  work
> >> iff there is no interruption in the flow of data from out there;
> >> otherwise, they get lost.  i would like Lynx at least to store
> >> those symbols & others -- eg  3p  -- until display is complete.
> > Yes, that's exactly what happens with  -nozap
> > but it also happens to the useful paging keys
>
> so how easy is it to implement the rest of this behaviour,
> while retaining the useful paging support?

Not possible with a light-weight patch like this.
Lynx would have to read ahead and process some input, re-queue
other input, effectively reordering input.  A mess I don't
want to think about.

Not to mention the mode would probably lose the property that makes it
useful for some sorts of scripting (predictable behavior, as long as
pages have the expected content and the network isn't broken etc.).

> >  echo -n "  )" | lynx-ncurses -nozap=initially http://somewhere/somepath
>
> thanx, that's clearer, but it will help only if you start Lynx
> to goto a specific site, not with the many articles
> i shall inspect in a few minutes in tomorrow's FT.
> maybe poor men shouldn't be reading FT ... (grin)

You don't need to stay poor if you can afford expect...

   Klaus