Re: lynx-dev Is Lynx still practical?

From: Donald Rober
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Is Lynx still practical?
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:44:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Michael Warner wrote:

> This must be highly user-dependent.  I can believe that half
> (or more) of the total pages on the web are unusable with lynx,
> due to javascript, strictly graphical content, etc.  But I have
> a success rate of >= 95%, just because of the kind of content
> I'm interested in/seek out.  Actually, PDF files are a bigger
> nuisance for me than javascripted pages.  I tried filtering them
> through ps2ascii (I think?) but the result was, um, aesthetically
> lacking.
> > I guarantee you I will not quiver over the incorporation of two
> > or three complete modules running over thousands of lines of
> > code if we can get Lynx to read between the <script></script>.
> I tend to agree that javascript support, at least for the
> form-submission sort of thing, would probably be the single
> greatest public service to the lynx-using mob.
The problem I see is that more and more pages are using java for non-java
reasons. The page designer just happened to use it because they didn't
think about what it meant.

Any support, even minimal utility, would greatly add to Lynx's utility to

[As a side question, is there a public-domain pdf reader that would just
extract the text?]